As the managers of the various national teams to the World Cup release their team lists, the tournament fever has started to kick in, with pundits beginning to analyze the impact each team would have at the Mundial. The expectations of the tournament are still limited. It is due to its timing, yet it does not take away the fever that is increasing in tempo.
In the last few weeks, players with World Cup hopes have been taking it easy as they look to preserve themselves for the four-week tournament. While some have been lucky, some have been unlucky and will miss the World Cup in Qatar.
While Sadio Mane is a massive doubt for the Mundial in Qatar, there may be hope for Tottenham forward to be at the tournament. The South Korean star, who injured himself in a Champions League tie against Marseille recently, seems to be available for the World Cup, despite his injury.
Son Heung-Min confirms World Cup availability
A few weeks before the Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon earlier this year, Victor Osimhen sustained an injury to the head that required surgery. The injury ruled out the Napoli forward from the competition. The absence of Osimhen was felt by the Super Eagles, as they crashed out in the knockout round.
The same type of injury hit Tottenham forward Son Heung-Min, but the South Korea international seems more fortunate than his Nigerian counterpart. Following surgery earlier this month, the expectations were that Son would miss the World Cup. The forward has, however, confirmed that he is available for selection for the World Cup in Qatar.
Earlier this week, Tottenham manager Antonio Conte expressed his hope that the South Korea international would make it to the Mundial. Conte said he understands the feeling players have about the tournament and expects Son to recover in time for the World Cup.
Pride in playing for the national team
South Korea will be in Qatar, and their captain Son Heung-Min, who was a massive doubt, is working round the clock to fit for the tournament. The South Korea forward has made himself available for selection and confirmed he would be ready when the Mundial commences.
The 30-year-old striker sustained an injury in a Champions League win at Marseille last week following an aerial clash and required lengthy treatment on the pitch. Son did not finish the game, raising doubts about his availability for the World Cup.
Son said it is the dream of many children to play for their country at the World Cup. He said it was also his dream. The Tottenham striker posted on his Instagram on Wednesday that he won’t miss this for the world.
He said he could not wait to represent his beautiful country. Son has scored 35 goals in 104 appearances for South Korea, who play Uruguay on November 2 and also have a date with Ghana and Portugal in Group H.