Son Heung-min has been told that he is no longer untouchable at Tottenham. The Korean has started all seven matches for Spurs this season but now faces the risk of losing his place in the starting lineup.
Tottenham Hotspur have been in solid form this season and challenging for honours. Antonio Conte is leading the Lilywhites into the Champions League this season, a competition he has a woeful record. The Italian is looking to change his Champions League record by taking his heavily loaded side as far as he can take them.
After massive signings this summer that has left the club as one of the Premier League favourites, Conte is looking to land some honours this season. Despite the club doing well, the Italian gaffer is bothered about some of his players. Conte warned them, particularly Heung-min Son, to pull their weight.
Antonio Conte is not satisfied with the performance of one of his stars. The Italian, who is very demanding, wants the player to up his game or start warming the bench. The warning is for Son Heung-min, who has been out of sorts this season.
The Korean forward has been out of form this season, not to the delight of the demanding Antonio Conte, who has asked him to shape up.
Son has not scored any goal this season despite starting all seven Premier League games for Spurs. Tottenham are unbeaten in this campaign, but Conte wants more and charged his wards to be up and about.
The form of the Korean is worrisome. He is at a far distance from what he achieved last season. Son won the Premier League Golden Boot in a season where he scored 28 goals for club and country in all competitions.
Tottenham have invested heavily in players this summer, and Conte will have no excuse if he fails to deliver silverware. The club has shipped out supposed deadwood and have given the former Chelsea boss the players he requested.
Once upon a time, the fate of Tottenham lay on the shoulders of a Korean and an Englishman. Heung-min Son and Harry Kane have carried the club as far as they can, but the calvary has arrived, and the load need no longer be upon them. Despite the improved situation, Son has started lagging, and Conte has fired a warning at the Korean.
Earlier this year, Conte declared that he would be a madman to drop Son from his team, given his importance. The dependence on Son and his partnership with Harry Kane is lower. The emergence of Dejan Kulusevski and the £60million capture of Richarlison from Everton has boosted Conte’s options.
Speaking ahead of their Champions League tie against Sporting on Tuesday, Conte was direct about his stars. Reacting to the question about Son’s place in the team, Conte was unequivocal about the Korean, saying he was no longer untouchable.
According to Conte, when you try to build something vital with ambition and to stay competitive – when you strive to be competitive and win, you have to change old habits. If you stay with those habits, it means you want to remain in the same spot, and you lack ambition.
Conte said it is why all the players need to accept the rotation, especially in attack. For Conte, sometimes it is better to rest and not start a game.