Ca8e4a0c32f3735e9769f2617e9debe5

Newcastle and Everton to compete for shock move for Thomas Muller

My Football FactsArticles

By Martin Graham | 6th Feb 2022

Reports have surfaced about the transfer plans of Newcastle United and Everton, who both have Bayern Munich and Germany legend Thomas Muller at the top of their transfer priority in the summer.

Everton appointed Frank Lampard as manager a few days to the January transfer window deadlines day and the club immediately began their backing of the former Chelsea manager by signing two midfielders for him to work with as he looks to turn the club’s fortunes around.

Lampard is not done yet with his squad shake-up, having reportedly identified Thomas Muller as his next target. The German attacking midfielder is out of a contract at Bayern Munich in 2023 and after 22 years at the club laden with multiple title wins, he is not in a hurry to commit his future.

Many clubs are attentive to his situation but Everton and Newcastle’s interest have come as a surprise. Newcastle, especially, are reported to be feeling positive of beating Everton to Thomas Muller’s signature in the summer.

Muller, however, is seen as a one-club man and has stated several times in the past that Bayern is his home. But the reports of his contract discussions which have branched off into reports of a possible departure will surely leave Bayern panicking.

Now German newspaper BILD reports that Newcastle are readying a summer swoop for the 32-year old and believe they have a decent shot at getting him to switch to the Premier League.

Money will not be an obstacle for the Magpies, as they continue their squad rebuild backed by the wealthy Saudi Arabian who acquired the club at the earlier stages of the season.

BILD, through reporter Christian Falk, however believes that Newcastle and Everton may not be able to pull off the impossible by getting Muller to leave Bayern. He also admitted to the fact that many other clubs are paying attention and urged Bayern to take action to keep Muller if he remains in their plans.

Newcastle should be patient with Bruno Guimaraes

Elsewhere, new signing Bruno Guimaraes is finally with his new teammates and ready for the new season. However, transfer journalist Duncan Castles believes that the club should not expect an immediate impact from the Brazilian.

Castles said on the Transfer Window Podcast: “Their [Newcastle] biggest spend is on Bruno Guimaraes. They did find a club who was just prepared to take the money and let a player go who they think can make a long-term difference.

“But the brief from within the club is they’re not sure he’ll be able to adapt quick enough to the Premier League this season.

“And what they need are immediate players to come in and improve things.”

Like Castles alluded to, many Newcastle staff are not entirely convinced about the 29-year-old’s signing, believing that if he will make an impact, it won’t be in this season.

However, Newcastle boss Eddie Howe is positive about the signing.

Howe said: “Bruno is a hugely exciting talent and has been one of our primary targets so I’m delighted to secure him. He strengthens the group immediately, ready for the challenge ahead.

“He has been one of the standout performers in France and is a full international for Brazil so I have no doubt our supporters will really enjoy watching him.

“We look forward to welcoming him to the club on his return from international duty.”

Newcastle currently sit 18th in the Premier League table with only two wins from their 21 games so far this season.

They host Everton – with whom they are in a battle for Muller’s signature in the summer – on Tuesday in their next Premier League fixture and this match could be Guimaraes’ debut.

Martin Graham is an MFF sports writer

Archives
Back To Top