Mason Greenwood has been arrested anew as new and damning evidence surfaces over his domestic abuse of his girlfriend, Harriet Robson.
On Sunday, Greenwood’s girlfriend Robson shared images, videos and an audio clip in a post to her social media captioned, “for those who want to know what Mason Greenwood does to me”. The post indicted the Manchester United youngster for domestic abuse.
Greater Manchester police arrested the United forward later on Sunday on suspicions of rape and assault as part of their investigations into the case, after they “became aware of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence”.
Fresh reports on the incident now claim that Greenwood has been further arrested on new suspicions of sexual assault and making threats to kill. It said magistrates had granted a second extension to keep him in custody until Wednesday.
A force spokesman said inquiries were ongoing and the woman (Robson) was being “offered specialist support”.
Manchester United have since distanced themselves from the 20-year-old and said he will not play for the club until further notice. Greenwood made his United in March 2019 after signing his professional contract, and only signed his first long-term contract in February 2021.
The club said that they “did not condone violence of any kind” and that they had been made aware of the allegations but would make no further comment until the “facts have been established”.
Later, they came out to reiterate their position on violence while officially suspending Greenwood from club activities.
On Monday, video game developer EA Sports said the forward had been removed from FIFA products. A statement from the company stated that Greenwood had been removed from active FIFA 22 squads and also suspended from appearing in FIFA Ultimate Team packs and Ultimate Draft.
Sportswear company Nike, who were the player’s major sponsors also came out with a statement saying that all their relations with the 20-year-old had been suspended.
“We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation,” a spokesman from Nike said.
Elsewhere, Jesse Lingard is primed to stay at Manchester United till the end of the season, in a frustrating end to the 29-year-old’s hopes of regular game-time elsewhere.
Newcastle United approached United for Lingard and all looked like the midfielder would be making the switch to St. James’ park. West Ham United, where he spent the remaining part of the 2020/21 season in a hugely successful loan spell also inquired about him.
Reports claimed that the West Ham move was on the verge of materialising for Lingard, only for the United hierarchy to make a U-turn at the 11th hour.
It is understood that the Greenwood situation prompted the club’s decision to not let Lingard go, having already lost Anthony Martial and Donny Van De Beek without making any new signings.
Fans have expressed their displeasure at the U-turn from the club’s key figures, as they push for Lingard to get his freedom to play football as he wishes.